Saturday, June 13, 2009

Don't you have new front steps yet?

Since having the front step removed almost a month ago, I have been slowly plodding along, building a replacement. We decided that we would make the front step a bit bigger - the concrete version was 8' wide and 3' deep. The new step is still 8' wide, but now extends 5'6" from the house. Palatial, I know. However, since our entryway inside the house rather small, this will give us a bit more usable space for the stroller and other related baby paraphanalia (in the summer, anyway).
After attaching a ledger board to the house, I built the other three sides of the step, and haphazardly attached it, as you can see below. Thank goodness for milk crates.

From here, I put the rest of the joists in place. I spaced them 12" on centre. The Rhino Decking I am using recommends spacing them every 16", but the added expense was minimal, and I figured it couldn't hurt to have them closer together.

From here I put on the 9 stair stringers required to cover the 8' span (I chose metal so that there would be no potential for rotting wood - more on this later) and I was ready to attach the deck boards! I chose to use construction adhesive on deck boards that couldn't be attached with the clips so as to avoid having any screw heads on the surface of the step. Below you can see my "weight" on the first board.

Here you can see the clips that Rhino Decking uses.

I had almost all of the deck boards down when it started to rain.

After waiting out the rain and finishing the surface, I began the process of attaching the decking to the stair stringers. The method recommended by the guy at Windsor Plywood was to pre-drill the decking, and put 1/4" lag bolts through the decking and the hole in the stringers. I did the math (108 bolts, nuts and washers) bought the bolts ($23.50) and then decided to see if construction adhesive would work. 108 silver heads on my so-far-screwless deck? Not if I can avoid it. The adhesive held the top step well, so I figured it might do the same on the metal stair stringers. Time will tell! Gluing was arduous, as I had to do each piece of decking individually, clamp it in place, then wait for the glue to set. 24 hours after placing and glueing a piece, I could remove my clamps, and go on to the next one. This was a 6 day process. I glued the kicks in place as well, using a piece of decking fascia that I cut to size on my new (to me) tablesaw. Here's what it looked like when I was doing the last step.

One thing I didn't really think about when shelling out the $2.69 per lineal foot for the decking was that I would need to cover up the ends of the deck boards and the visible joist. If my deck were all treated lumber or cedar, it wouldn't be an issue, as it is expected that you'll see the cut ends of the boards. However, since the deck boards are made from recycled plastic, they don't have the same look. And, since I installed grooved boards so as to be able to use the clips, they look even less appealing to the eye. So, I bought some fascia moulding, which the fascia board will slide up in to. I attached it using screws (boo screws, but no other really good way to do it - I have a limited clamp repetoire).

However, on the sides of the steps, there is no wood to screw in to. In hindsight, I should have used treated stair stringers on the ends. However, standing between me and that modification at this point is a ton of construction adhesive. So I've had to make do. Thank goodness for duct tape.

This morning I ran out of fascia trim, and so will have to make a trip back to Windsor Plywood sometime next week to get one more piece. After I have it, I will be able to install the fascia, and, finally finish the front step. Here is what it looks like right now. Stay tuned for the final product.

1 comment:

Search the Handyman's Dream